Thursday, June 25, 2015

Reflecting on Reflection

I struggle with reflection.  I get how valuable it is - necessary even, to growth but for some reason that eludes me, I have a difficult time actually DOING it.  It seems to be the first thing to go when things get busy - how can I sit and reflect when there is so much to DO?  And therein lies the answer - reflection should actually make the load lighter, not heavier.  Reflection should be a process by which I can winnow out the tasks and concepts that are no longer necessary and find renewed focus on the ones that are relevant and will move me, and the kids and families I serve, forward.

Even in our morning session today, the time set aside for 30 minutes of self reflection was the first to go and to be replaced by team time - focused on aligning ourselves as a whole group and learning from each other.

We are all in this together and I think, in order for us to actually teach students to reflect thoughtfully - we might just have to learn to do it ourselves.  And to find value in it.  For real.  Or it just isn't going to make it into my world except in a "check it off my list" kind of way.

And I guess the truth is that I want it to - I want to be more reflective/thoughtful in all aspects of my life and to find time/energy to make that happen.

Anyone else have this struggle?  The magic answer?????

1 comment:

  1. Awesome post. I need to reflect on it (haha) but my first thought is that it may be helpful to try to build it into your routine. First thing in the morning, right before bed, right after the last student leaves, something like that. And then protect that time. Think of all the other things that you have managed to fit into your life because they are important - it must be possible!

    ReplyDelete